the weather is back to normal, all the stuff that had to be taken care of after my leave is done, and work on the shipyard went quite smooth. So here's this weekend's progress:
Preparations to the inner structures of the forecastle deck - cleaning, and I decided to replace only those doors, that will be visible in the end.
PE ladders back on. I had them installed very early on with not much consideration, then removed and put in a safe place. This is normally the most certain way to never see them again, but somehow I could remember where I had put them - probably wasn't a safe place then...
Forward on the forecastle deck, there is no inner structure provided outside (that's some urinals there actually), at least I didn't find anything. And this would be visible! So I put some bulkheads there, nobody will be able to look inside later on. And some masking for the wooden deck.
Masking the wooden deck aft:
Masking the lower hull with some Tamiya tape that has about 50 cm worth of thin foil attached to it, so it's needed on one side only, the foil can be dragged around the hull and fixed with simple masking tape on the other side of the hull.
Spraying RN 507 b, and lots of it...
Masking removed. I am quite happy with the result - position of the boot topping looks fine to me, and there are only minor touch ups required.
Here are a few of those areas that need re-work:
Internal bulkheads installed:
And a little gizmology - some tables in the Admiral's Dining and Day cabins. Initially I was thinking about doing even more, but first trials revealed that you can't actually see all that much through the windows there.
I know it would most likely be dark wood, but:
a) you would not be able to see anything dark in there and
b) I didn't have anything properly dark, so this color will have to do...
Test fitting the boat deck.
Definitively more work to come, and indeed, that kept my busy the better part of Sunday...
Anyway, I am quite happy with the 'look in'-effects, the wooden deck gives a nice impression, and the bigger openings next to the Admiral's cabin, where inclined ladders will lead up later on, looks pretty good.
More work coming up forward. A part of the kit's bulkheads will be replaced py PE.
I can see where this is going, however, that needs to be postponed until the boat deck is installed. The wooden deck to the forecastle, too??? Hm. Don't really know yet...
So back to the boat deck. This part required extensive cleaning, the mold is not really sharp on the edges. But - more important - on a closer look I have to work quite a bit on the fit. All the kit's parts that were replaced by brass have a thinner material strength, so there are some fractions of a mm that need to go in several areas. That took me well over an hour only sanding and adjusting...
So I think this will fit - some filling, surfacer and sanding will be required, of course, but it should do.
A first coat of color prior to installing -revealed that I was probably getting close with the shape and the fit, but was still falling short with smoothing out the edges of the deck...
Just two of many areas...
So...more of that:
But that will be left for later (needs to cure anyway). At least my HMS Hood now looks like a warship, resting in the upper part of the shipyard and waiting for next weekend.
That's it for now, next update should be here in about a week from now!
Thank you very much for looking in, and as always, all comments more than welcome!!