Just checking in after being out of the country for a while. Any updates to share? Hope you're doing well.
Sorry for the late response (a year late!), but with all the messing around trying to rig up the interior lighting on what was intended to be a quick out of the box build, I got irritated with the project and just put it away.
It had reached the point where the lighting looked good, but I couldn’t figure out how to effectively hide the wiring. My original solution of snaking the wires along the upper edges of the aft deck wasn’t really satisfactory – they were just too visible there!
Worse, with the hull and deck solidly cemented together and no access to the interior, and I had no idea how to get the wires entering the main deck aft out again through the tiny holes in the keel amidships to the battery below.
And that’s where I left things a year ago.
Taking up the model again, this time I super glued the wires to the underside of the aft deck. The light bulb itself is partially concealed behind a sheet plastic strip “beam,” leaving a nicely diffuse illumination inside the cabin from above. This approach turned out to be pretty simple, and it will better hide the wires from view, at least from the outside.
As for getting the wires through the keel, this was actually easier than I had feared. Having carved out the solid bottom of the main hatch under the stairs to gain access to the inside of the hull, I was able to grab the wires with tweezers and pull them out through the hatch. I also pulled out some sewing threads I had passed through holes in the keel from outside.
Attaching the lighting wires to the threads enabled me to draw them out through the keel to reach the battery in the stand below.
With all this done, the only exterior evidence of the lighting system will be the box under the stand containing the battery.
While functional components like this may not be my favorites among modelling tasks...
...in the end the illuminated cabin will help highlight the amusing surprise in store for viewers aft!